Neuro-Linguistic Programming is the exploration of how we communicate, think and change with the aim of replicating and improving great performance in any context. It uses both conscious and unconscious processes that leads to increased communication skills, confidence, motivation and success and is directly related to increasing our ability to influence and persuade. It is also effective in overcoming blocks or barriers caused by a lack of these skills.
Practical applications of NLP include:
- Improve personal and social skills – help develop and improve on existing skills
- Business skills like improved leadership, coaching, sales, influence and managing change
- Help with personal challenges like smoking, drinking, weight-loss and phobias (e.g fear of heights)
- Seduction and relationships – improve interaction with others
- Health – help individuals change limiting beliefs, habits and behaviour
- Sport – Used to help people reach and maintain peak performance.
The 6 main building blocks of NLP:
neuro-linguist programming describes some of the way NLP works and the things it relates to:
N (neurology) – L (linguistic) – P (programming) –
NLP studies and works with the mind, how we think and how we store our past experiences, putting them to good use if the need arises.
The use of language, verbal and non-verbal affects us and NLP constructs its models on that, using language and language patterns towards the desired goals
The ability to organise our actions, thoughts and access to our past experiences can be programmed, sequenced in the best way to aid in achieving our specific desired goals
It works on the best physical and emotional state to accomplish a task and produce best results in different contexts.
This involves modelling successful people actions to achieve similar results. It starts by asking good questions and moves on to learning without letting our intellect interfere with our learning!
A positive attitude and a passion for modelling will result in many new techniques.. People practicing NLP have produced many useful techniques to help others to reach their objectives and overcome ‘blocks’ where appropriate.